Monday, August 8, 2011

Gear and Belt problems

Hi

I own my second Aprilia Mana 850 now since a month or 5. And already after only 8000 KM I'm experiencing the same problems I encountered with my first Mana (which I drove for about 60000 KM) : "Gear" and "Belt" problems.

"Belt" problem :
Situation : while driving my Mana I all of a sudden receive the message "Belt" on my dashboard. A visit to my local garage keeper and dealer (again) tells me only there is nothing wrong : the belt doesn't need to be replaced although the software tells there something wrong with it.
The only way to remove the message is to replace the belt and execute a reset. But when he then would place back the old belt, the message does NOT return ...
When calling Aprilia they only react : "non possibile"! When one ignores a problem it does not exist?

"Gear" problem :
Situation : while driving, without any reason or special action, the message "Gear" appears on my dashboard (lately alternating with the "Belt" message). This brings my Mana in an unpleasant gear position which gives you the impression to drive a tank and which makes it impossible to accelerate. This can happen in whatever gear modus (touring, sport as well as in rain).
The only thing I can do is stop driving and turning of my motorcycle. If lucky I can drive on after "rebooting". Sometimes it takes a second (or third) attempt.
Again when scanning the Aprilia with their software nothing seems to be wrong. But in this case you can not ignore the message. You can no longer drive unless you restart the bike!

When calling Aprilia they only react : "non possibile"! When one ignores a problem it does not exist?


I hope my garage keeper will be able to deal with these problems soon. Because as long as these cases do not appear driving my Aprilia Mana 850 ABS is the max!

In case any of you Mana drivers out there experience the same problems (and maybe know a solution to solve them) do not hesitate to react!

Peter

6 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem the service changed the so called "brain" but nothing changed. don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. had my mana 2 1/2 years. I have had the same problems and the bike stays pulling in gear when stopped. new belt fitted at 13000 miles and set up by aprilia still has the gear problem which is a pain but the gears are brilliant 99% of the time. I have found the only answer is to park the bike up switch off. give it a minute and the gears and clutch work fine again. have looked on the net but as yet have not found anyone who has actualy fitted a belt them selves succesfully.
      PD

      Delete
    2. Most problems related to Aprilia Mana are electrical in nature and the problem is most of the motorcycle dealers that carry their products are very mechanical in nature. Hate to say it but many belt changes and C.V.T. parts are just changed trying to guess at the problem. 99% of the time it is either you gearbox sensor(potentiometer) made by Digitek or its you shift motor/stepper motor made Mitsuba(actuator). These are the two weak links! The bar mount "GEAR" selector is also prone to failure but you will get a "gear" message and a "x" on your dash if this happens. Another problem is shop technicians not nowing how to use the Aprilia software (I watched a couple of dealer try to fake their way doing a potentiometer C.P.U. reset.

      Delete
  2. I'm having the same problem I love riding my Aprilia Mana but I can't find a good mechanic here in California is there anyone out there that can help me with this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had belt and new cutch fitted when put back together bike is sicking in gear mode garage trying to sort this. This is not my problem as when put bike in gargae this was not a ussuie what do you think i should do

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, before I switched to another bike (Honda) I was in discussion with Aprilia's BeNeLux importer. My gear problems kept on returning and software updates didn't help. In the end I had the "software module" (aka motherboard) replaced against 800 EUR. I tried to get this paid back by Aprilia because, in my opinion, this was a construction error. I did not get a refund but the bike ran, from then on, smoothly and without problems.
    KR
    Peter

    ReplyDelete